When Is Roof Replacement Necessary?
Signs of Necessary Roofing Replacement
When a homeowner finally decides on roofing replacement, often, other damage has already been done to the home. Most homeowners do not notice that their roof is in an advanced state of disrepair until water marks or leaks appear inside the home. At this point, not only should the homeowners look into roof replacement, but they may also need to tear down some drywall, repair walls, or replace carpets and curtains that are especially vulnerable to water damage. At times, if you don’t hire the right rain gutter contractors you may face issues with your roof.
Many homeowners put off roof replacement because they are worried that it will take a long time. It can be difficult to envision roofing replacement as something other than inconvenient and messy. However, if you are in the market for a new roof or are seeing signs that roof replacement may be in your future, it is important to know the actual procedure used by roofing contractors.
Roofing Replacement- Step by Step
Although ‘Do It Yourself Roof Replacement’ articles do exist, it would take an intrepid and persistent homeowner to even consider attempting this. Roofing replacement requires a team of skilled workers who can work rapidly to perform all of the required tasks. “While an untrained individual may be able to replace a roof, the possible problems and complications that may arise, not to mention the lack of warranty, generally make this option unfeasible.” Noted Mario from Modern Roofing in Los Angeles. However, with a contractor, the entire roof replacement can be accomplished in as few as three or four days.
Most roofers follow this series of steps when performing a roof replacement:
- The first step in roof replacement is to remove all of the existing shingles.
- Once these have been removed, the roofer will then often replace rotten or otherwise bad sheets of plywood.
- Once this plywood has been replaced, the roofing replacement team will next add ice dam protection, which prevents a block off of ice from forming and rotting the wood beneath the shingles. Although this may be more necessary in some climates than others, it is standard to install this on all new roofs.
- Next, the roofer will lay down asphalt paper.
- After this, the roofing replacement team will install the desired type of shingles. Homeowners can choose from many different kinds of shingles, including cement, asphalt, and cedar.
- After the shingles have been installed, flashing is placed around areas where leaks are more likely to occur, like the chimney or vents. Flashing works as a guard against moisture penetration.
- Finally, the ridge vent should be installed. A ridge vent is at the top of a peaked roof and allows warm air to escape from the attic.
After the above steps have been completed, the roof should be fully functional. Typically, residential roofs last around 20 years. After that time, homeowners need to consider roof replacement and factor this large expense into their budget. However, the right contractor and materials can save homeowners a lot of hassle and repair needs. Let the helpful, knowledgeable employees at the Home Depot help you with your roof replacement. They have the skills to perform this task for you. Learn more about roofing replacement today!
If you need any help with gutter cleaning or gutter repair reach out to our friends at Woolley’s Gutter Experts San Diego. Woolley’s Gutter Experts San Diego is a rain gutter contractor in San Diego.